This week’s spotlight author is Genevieve Scholl. Not only do we get some answers to a few questions, but we will share a few teasers from her current releases.
Can you tell us a little bit about yourself?
- Well, there really isn’t much to tell. To be honest, I’m just a below average woman in an above average world. I am a creative at heart; writing, art, crafts, design … all of it is my passion. I was born in Texas, grew up and still live in Upstate New York State, and hope to retire in Ireland one day. I started writing when I was a young-in, but I became serious about it about nine years ago. I first got published through a smaller publishing company (you’ll probably know who I am talking about without me mentioning names), but it turned out to be a fraud. That was in 2008. After that and the follow up book, I pulled away from the company and writing. I felt dejected and taken advantage of, so I stepped away for a bit. But I couldn’t stop the urge; the characters were screaming. So in 2011, I wrote the first complete story in 3 years, and self published it in 2012. That was the first in my Naughty North Pole Novels, and now number 3 is coming out in July 2015! In addition to those, I have written several other stories and I am still going strong. The best thing I ever did was become a self published author. The readers I have gained and had the privilege of calling friends are amazing, and I wouldn’t trade them or the experience for the world. Though I am thinking about starting to submit to publishing companies, I will never forget everything that’s happened up until now.
Tell us about your latest project.
- Like I said, the third and final book in my Naughty North Pole Novels comes out in July. Joy was an underage mother, but when her daughter turns five, Joy realizes she needs a father figure in her life. Joy hasn’t dated since she had been seeing Ginger’s father, and has no idea where to start to find the man her daughter needs. But little does she know, the right man might just be under her nose in the reindeer trainer, Jack Hill.
- In addition to this, I also just recently signed with Simply Sexy Reads to publish a short Erotic story called Parker’s Proceedings, the first in my Legal Battle Shorts. That will be out in August.
- And in September, I will have another release. The title is not public knowledge yet, but I can tell you that it is a story that is very close to my heart.
What is your favorite book and why?
- My favorite book to read? That would have to be The Complete Works of Arthur Conan Doyle. I have always loved Sherlock Holmes and his amazing brain. My first book that I had published through the company was a mystery, and one day I plan to get back to that, because deep down that is what I love. Not that I don’t love Romance as well, but each genre holds a different fascination with me.
- Now, if we’re talking about my favorite book of mine … I’d have to say Until Death Do I Part. I’m not sure why, but I feel it’s my best work yet. It still has spots for improvement, but out of everything I’ve published, I think it is the best story.
What do you like to do when you need a break from writing?
- Like I said, I’m a creative at heart so if it takes creative skill, I’m there. Although, what I didn’t mention in the introduction was that I am also a photographer. I love to take pictures of scenery, animals, every day people… basically everything I can photograph. I can’t wait for my trip to Disney in October, just so I can take thousands of pictures!
- Also, I am a lover of science. I am a geek at heart, and damn proud of it. Doctor Who, Back to the Future, Big Bang Theory, any kind of Forensics … if it’s science(y), I’m in.
Where do you usually write? Do you write in silence or with music or other background sounds?
- I cannot, absolutely cannot write in silence. I have to have the television on, the radio blaring, or something. As a matter of fact, I do my best writing when I am in a public place and people are talking around me and the sound of cars are muted through the glass panes of the windows. The noisier, the better … for the most part lol
- Since I do not have an actual office, I basically write wherever my rear-end lands. For the most part it is on a TV tray in front of the television, but I have also been known to write on the dining table, in bed, on the floor, etc. Next summer, I hope to have my deck remodeled so it is useable and I hope to write the majority, if not all, of a book outside.
- If I could afford it, I would LOVE an actual office, though. I love to be organized.
Who is your inspiration? What inspired you to become a writer?
- I wouldn’t say that any one person was an inspiration to me. It was more like several people inspire me to write, and continue writing. Other authors, my best friends, my family … they all play an important part in each book. My aunt is even my editor!
- As for how I started to write … I was bullied a lot in High School, and I began writing books to relieve my anger and hurt over everything I went through. I started by killing off everyone who angered me, but eventually I realized I just loved telling stories. The rest is history. And, most of my bullies and I have mended fences and talk every now and then.
What is your least favorite part of being an author?
- Promoting, which is the main reason I plan to start looking for a publisher. I don’t have the funds or connections to promote the way I should.
What is your favorite part of being an author?
- Connecting with readers, and I welcome anyone who is reading this to contact me any time.
Po Box 163
Yorkville, NY, 13495
What is your favorite motivational phrase, and why?
- “If you don’t stand for something, you’ll fall for anything.” It is the truest phrase I’ve ever heard, and I believe it 100%.
Where to find Genevieve Scholl
If you would like to be featured on our Author Spotlight, feel free to contact us.
“Thanks for joining me today. I’d love to hear your thoughts and I’d love it if you could use the little share buttons buttons to share with your friends. I can also be found on Facebook * Twitter * LinkedIn * Google+ * Pinterest. Sign up for my newsletter over on the sidebar to the right, and you will be notified when my next book releases.”